The Gamblers Anonymous Unity Program is a framework fo the well-being of individual groups and the Fellowship as a whole. The Unity Program is outlined in 12 steps and is meant to insure the continuity and perpetuity of Gamblers Anonymous.
In order to maintain the Fellowship for present and future members, both individual and groups follow the proven concepts upon which the Unity Program is based. The essence of this program is in the preservation of common welfare. Members understand that what is best for the group is best for the individual.
The Unity Program serves to protect the Fellowship from disruption. Members work together under the principles of unity in order to preserve and perpetuate the opportunity for themselves and other compulsive gamblers to recove and grow within the Fellowship
In order to maintain unity our experience has shown that: (by clicking each step, you will find a brief explanation, which may help you gain some perspective on the step):
- Our common welfare should come first; personal recovery depends upon group unity.
- Our leaders are but trusted servants; they do not govern.
- The only requirement for Gamblers Anonymous membership is a desire to stop gambling. Each group should be self-governing except in matters affecting other groups or Gamblers Anonymous as a whole.
- Gamblers Anonymous has but one primary purpose – to carry its message to the compulsive gambler who still suffers.
- Gamblers Anonymous ought never endorse, finance or lend the Gamblers Anonymous name to any related facility or outside enterprise, lest problems of money property and prestige divert us from our primary purpose.
- Every Gamblers Anonymous group ought to be fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions.
- Gamblers Anonymous should remain forever non-professional, but our service centers may employ special workers.
- Gamblers Anonymous, as such, ought never be organized; but we may create service boards or committees directly responsible to those they serve.
- Gamblers Anonymous had no opinion on outside issues; hence the Gamblers Anonymous name ought never be drawn into public controversy.
- Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio, films and television.
- Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of the Gamblers Anonymous program, ever reminding us to place principles before personalities.
- Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of the Gamblers Anonymous Programme, Ever reminding us to place principles before personalities.
Click here for a complete list of all the meetings in South Africa along with details of each meeting.
If you need immediate help, please call the Gamblers Anonymous toll-free telephone hotline.